Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Creamy Pesto Pasta

I love this dish, not only because it is sooooooo quick to make but because it is sooooooo delicious. Tonight was one of those nights. But just because I can't spend a lot of time making a meal doesn't mean that I don't' want to eat well. Tonight, it was steaks with sauteed mushrooms. With the steaks, I made steamed squash and broccoli with a browned butter drizzle and this pasta.

If you've been one of those folks that reaches for pasta in a box on those quick meal nights, give this a try. I think it's actually faster than any box could hope to be. The trick is to always have pesto in your freezer. I make mine in the summer when the basil is plentiful and then freeze it in ice cube trays. I pop them out of the trays and store in zip top bags. Ready to go at a moment's notice!

Boil your pasta and drain. In this case, I used the remnants from two bags. If you look closely, we had small shells and some large alphabet pasta from Trader Joe's. Thaw the pesto in a small dish in the microwave. For ice cube sized hunks, it only takes a few seconds (literally! start with 15 seconds). Pour the pesto over the pasta, add a good splash of cream (heavy or light, whatever you've got), and a nice shake of Parmesan cheese. For this recipe, I just shake it right out of the green can. On nights like these, I can't be bothered to grate fresh. That's it! Stir it around and then eat it up. Just make sure you make enough. This is one of those dishes that when I go to do the dishes, I have to have a few more spoonfuls. Sssshhhhh. Don't tell!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, sounds good. I haven't made anything like this in a long while. Ok, it's official, I've been checking for updates from you in my blog reader before reading anyone else just lately. Thanks for the food inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the complement! I love to hear that folks enjoy what I'm doing. I hope the posts haven't been too sparse for you lately. I'm hoping to get caught up with my lesson planning this weekend so I can play in the kitchen more. I have so many things I've been wanting to make!! Stay tuned! :)

    ReplyDelete