Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Corn Salad


I just noticed that I had a typo in the ratio for the simple syrup. Sorry it took me so long to notice it! I make my own sugar water for the hummingbirds and use a ratio of 1 to 4 sugar to water. When I make this salad, I just steal a little of that liquid, which I store in the refrigerator. You can simply mix 1/2 cup of water and 2 TBS of sugar, if it's easier for you.

Knee high by the Fourth of July... you ever heard that? That used to be the old adage about corn. With all the new hybrids and what not, it doesn't hold very true anymore. In fact, we've been seeing some pretty darn good local sweet corn in the markets for a little while now.

This is a perfect recipe to serve on the Fourth. It's quick and easy, holds well on a hot day, and is sweet, crunchy, and super delicious. Back when I was going to the farmer's markets in Ohio, one of my fellow sellers would while away the time eating corn fresh off the cob... you know... raw. I'd never seen anyone do that before and it seemed kind of odd to me. Who the heck knew that raw corn is so stinking wonderful? I like to cut it off the cob, myself, otherwise you splash corn juice over four counties, but it is really good stuff. Raw corn is much crunchier and sweeter than when it is cooked. Put it together in a salad like this, and you'll get rave reviews every time!

Corn Salad
Yield: approximately 2 quarts of salad

5-6 fresh ears of corn, kernels cut off
1 cup minced sweet onion
1 cup seeded, diced fresh tomato
1 mostly peeled, seeded, diced cucumber

2/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup simple syrup (a 1 to 4 ratio of sugar to water, i.e. about 2 TBS sugar)
3/4 tsp beau monde seasoning
1/4 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
dash ground pepper
1/8 tsp guar gum (optional - helps emulsify dressing)

Mix together all ingredients and put in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving. When cutting the kernels off of the corn, try not to cut too far back in the cob or you will get the tougher part of the kernel in with your salad. Do not scrape the cob for the milk like you would if making creamed corn. I like to peel my cucumbers most of the way for taste but leave a little peel on for color.

No comments:

Post a Comment