Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Corej Chicken Marinade

I am so excited to share this recipe with you. I originally had it at a friend's cookout and immediately had to ask for the recipe (thus, I have no idea from where it originally came). I then decided to use it to make grilled chicken skewers for that large party I catered a few months back. While I think this dish has the best flavor when cooked over a grill, it's pretty darn good when broiled in the oven too, which is what I did last night. The other trick about this dish is that I think it's absolutely imperative that you use chicken thighs and not breasts. I once used this marinade to make grilled chicken breasts and it just wasn't the same. Don't get me wrong, it was tasty, but after having enjoyed it on the fattier, more flavorful thighs, it was a distinct letdown. 

This marinade will easily cover two to three pounds of meat. It's best if you can let the meat soak for at least 3-4 hours, but it's still delicious when you only have time to give it an hour. The combination of flavors is superb. What's more, I am not a fan of mustard (that's an understatement, mustard is one of three flavors in the world that I simply cannot abide), but I love its addition in this marinade. Not only does it boost the flavor but it helps to emulsify the marinade so that all the flavors meld together. Look at that rich, dark color! Yum!


Corej Chicken Marinade
Yield: enough to marinate 2-3 pounds of meat

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 TBS Dijon style mustard
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1-3 pounds of deboned, skinless chicken thighs

Whisk all of the marinade ingredients together. Trim the meat as desired (either keep in whole pieces or cut into pieces to skewer for satay style) and place in the marinade. Let soak in the marinade, ideally, for 3-4 hours in the refrigerator. 

When ready to cook, prepare the grill or turn on the broiler. Grill over medium high heat or broil 5-6 inches from the element, flipping once. Use a thermometer to be sure the meat is cooked to approximately 160 degrees. 

The Corejs just told me they believe I've adapted the California Marinade recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Barbeque Book, circa 1965. You've gotta love a classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment