Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Thursday, October 31, 2013

My New Favorite Oatmeal


Sometimes the most amazing things are the result of serendipity. Well, or in this case, a mean case of baby constipation. My boy's body was apparently having a hard time getting used to this solid food stuff and was getting stopped up. So, I started making this oatmeal as a way to get some "looseners" in him.

Come to find out, this stuff is really, really good! I have to make a double batch of it for my baby every morning because I end up eating so much of the stuff. I just can't help it! And he must really like it too, because, ever since I started making this, he suddenly doesn't want anything else for breakfast. Pancakes? Nope. Malt-O-Meal? Nope. French toast? Nope. Just this oatmeal. Day after day after day. I don't really blame him though. Did I mention already the really, really good part? Yeah, I guess I did.

I make it for him with apple juice for extra "loosening power", but it's really just as good made with water. Mix instant oats and water and microwave for about 30 seconds. I usually use a ratio of about 1/4 cup oats and 3 TBS or so of liquid, just enough to moisten them. After it's been heated, add about a two inch section of nicely ripe, mashed banana. Then add about two tablespoons of applesauce (or pear sauce, it's tasty too) and a dash of ground cinnamon. Stir to mix. Enjoy while it's still warm.

Oh, and in case you're curious, yes, it does keep my boy regular. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment