Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Friday, March 27, 2009

Farm Fresh Eggs

It was a sad day yesterday...

For the last three years, my husband and I have lived on a small farm in Ohio where I had a flock of laying hens. I have always enjoyed having chickens; they are such interesting creatures! In addition to their entertainment value, you just can't beat a farm fresh egg for taste or nutrition (click here for an article - although I cannot speak for the scientific validity of their research, it only makes sense to me that a bird given free access to a more widely varied diet would produce eggs with a better nutritional profile). The other thing I like about farm raised, free-range eggs is that I don't have to feel guilty about the hens' quality of life. While I am certainly not a supporter of radical animal rights groups (I do really like meat and I have raised and butchered my own groceries), I do like to be sensitive regarding the quality of life of those animals whose products I consume.

Unfortunately, being a military wife, we're off to our new duty station in Florida... and living in suburbia again. So the last chicken went away two or three weeks ago.

Yesterday, I used the last of my farm laid eggs. When I pulled out the store-bought eggs to finish out my recipe, I decided I had to take a picture of the difference in yolk color. And this was during winter when there wasn't a lot of foraging going on!

They often cost more, but I think I may need to find a place in our new home where I can buy farm fresh eggs. I think they're worth it. If you want to find fresh eggs in your neck of the woods, try the Local Harvest website.

No comments:

Post a Comment