Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Swimming Rama

I really enjoy being able to make ethnic dishes at home. I like going out to eat, but sometimes if I have a craving, I like being able to take care of it at home. One of my favorite dishes when I go out to eat Thai is swimming rama, sometimes called swimming angel. It has a peanut sauce that I love. The actual recipe involves sauted chicken, onion, carrot, bean sprouts, and spinach. While I love this version, I sometimes like a simpler meal. Every time I see beautiful, fresh green beans in the market, I have to make this.

Swimming Rama Peanut Sauce

1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1 TBS chili paste (sambal oelek, see my aStore for the one I use)
2 TBS regular soy sauce
1 TBS thick soy sauce (see my aStore, this one can be hard to find sometimes)
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 TBS shredded, fresh ginger OR 2 TBS dried ground ginger
2 tsp lemon juice
1 TBS brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cup coconut milk

Mix all ingredients together, except coconut milk. Once mixed, add coconut milk and stir thoroughly. Heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and hold until needed.

Green Bean Version

Cook rice, peanut sauce, and fresh green beans. Spoon a mound of rice on a plate, top with green beans, pour over peanut sauce. Garnish with chopped peanuts, if desired.

Traditional Restaurant Version

Prep the following:
1 cup choped chicken
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, sliced and steamed until crisp tender
1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
2 cups fresh spinach leaves

Put rice on. Prepare peanut sauce and keep warm. Drizzle 1 TBS oil in a large saute pan. Saute chicken and onion until nearly cooked. Add carrot, sprouts, and spinach leaves. Cook until just heated through. Serve over rice with peanut sauce. Garnish with chopped peanuts, if desired.

NOTES: This sauce keeps well in the refrigerator. Simply save what you don't use and reheat later. I strongly urge using fresh ginger. Ginger stores for a long time, but if you have trouble using it before it goes bad, but want to always have some on hand, peel chunks and then freeze in a baggie. Grate ginger while it is still frozen and use as if it were fresh. I once thought I would try the "lite" coconut milk because I thought if I could get the same taste with fewer calories that would be great. It would be great... if that were the case. I really recommend against going this route. I was really disappointed. See my aStore listings under "Cooking" for the chili paste and thick soy sauce that I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment