- The Bread Baker's Apprentice, by Peter Reinhart: This is one of the best bread books I've ever come across. It gives a very detailed description of all aspects of bread baking and gives well written recipes for a wide variety of breads. Highly recommended. Available in my Amazon aStore or at your local book retailer.
- King Arthur Flour's Bread Troubleshooting Website: a great list of possible bread making problems and their possible solutions. A must if you are trying to figure out what is going wrong. I have also used the list to help me decide what to do to modify a recipe to make it more a certain way. Check out some of their pages linked to this one for additional helpful information.
- Baking and Baking Science is a web site put together by a retired professional baker. I like this site because it gives an in depth treatment of all aspects of bread baking including what each ingredient does in the bread. It's not a fancy site, but it does have good information.
- Kansas Wheat Baking Terms & Techniques This pdf file from Kansas Wheat Commission - Kansas Association of Wheat Growers is a very useful reference of baking terms, including bread baking terms. It is very complete and a handy reference if you are reading another reference using terms with which you are not familiar.
- Baking Science: Bread - Here is another good reference from the Kansas Wheat folks; it is also in pdf format. In particular, I find pages 3-8 useful. It provides a very clear description of what each ingredient does in bread and gives guidelines on how to manipulate them in making bread.
Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!
Monday, May 11, 2009
Best Bread Baking Resources
Here is a list of my favorite bread baking resources: