Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Ice Cream a la Pie



I love apple pie a la mode. I love how the vanilla ice cream starts to melt in with the pie filling. I love how the fruit and the cream go together perfectly. I really do love it, but despite how easy it is to make a pie, there are times when I just don't feel like making one... and you can't ignore the fact that crust is so full of fat and calories. So sometimes, I just make a topping that I can pour over the ice cream and get the same effect with less work and calories. You just can't complain about that.

As for the fruit, you can use all apples or all pears if you choose, but I like the combination. In this case, I used a gala apple and two bosc pears.

Ice Cream a la Pie
Yield: 1 1/2 - 2 cups of topping

1 apple, peeled, cored, and minced
2 pears, peeled, cored, and minced
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
1 TBS brandy
2 TBS raisins, minced
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar (or to taste)
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
dash of: allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and salt

vanilla ice cream, for serving

Throw all ingredients together in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until the fruit is pleasantly soft, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving. Topping can be stored in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to one week. Gently warm topping in the microwave before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment