Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Monday, June 29, 2009

Shrimp Pasta

This is one of those go to dishes that I keep in my hip pocket for those nights when I want to make something really quick and easy or have forgotten to thaw anything out (which happens with greater regularity than I like to admit).

Even if the shrimp are frozen when you think of making this dish, it can still be prepared in a jiffy. Shrimp can thaw so fast and easy in lukewarm water that I can typically go from thinking about it to making this dish in less than fifteen minutes. And boy is it good.

Shrimp Pasta
based on the Barefoot Contessa's Shrimp Linguine

1 lb pasta, I prefer linguine or rigati spaghetti
1 lb shrimp, shelled, tails removed
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS butter
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp chopped parsley
salt & pepper to taste

Start the pasta water to boiling while you clean the shrimp. You can devein them too, if you feel the need. I, personally, don't normally feel the need unless I'm using very large shrimp.

When the pasta is about 5 minutes away from being done, add the butter and oil to a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook briefly. Add the shrimp and red pepper flakes. Cook until the shrimp have turned pink, turning to cook all sides, 3-4 minutes.

Drain the pasta and add to the saute pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring to mix well. Serve immediately! It's great with a salad and garlic toast.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I have my own recipe for Shrimp Pasta but it's pretty much similar to yours. Pasta Carbonara is another favorite. My go-to dish for dinner guests is Beef Stroganoff, as long as I've had enough time to marinate the beef until it is melt in your mouth tender. And the cooking wine used can make all the difference in taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that looks delicious! I have the feeling i'll be making that for dinner! Would you mind if i add this recipe to my blog? I'll be sure to link back! feel free to e-mail me :)

    ReplyDelete