Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Friday, July 17, 2009

Baked Potato Salad

As some of you might recall, I've previously mentioned my problem with mayonnaise based salads. I just can't eat them. You will never see me eat traditional potato salad... ever. You could, however, see me eat this dish any time I get the chance.

The great thing about this "salad" is that it's a go anywhere, do anything dish. I usually make it with dinner when I want mashed potatoes that aren't mashed potatoes, but it also makes a great potluck take along. I like it because it doesn't need to be steaming hot when it is served. In fact, room temperature is just fine.

Baked Potato Salad
Yield: 6 servings

6 cups scrubbed, cubed potatoes (about 3/4 inch chunks)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk (adjust as necessary)
1/2 tsp salt
pepper
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup bacon bits/lardons (optional)

Place potatoes in a large pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool down. Adding the cheese and sour cream when the potatoes are hot simply leads to a melty mess. Make sure the potatoes are no longer hot before proceeding.

Add the remaining ingredients and stir to mix thoroughly. The great thing about this recipe is that the proportions of all ingredients can be altered to suit your taste. Do you like a little more sour cream tartness? Add an extra dollop. More onions? Throw them in! You get the idea. One of the joys of this dish is its flexibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment