Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Smoked Salmon Ravioli

You know, it's funny how long it can take for me to get around to trying an idea sometimes. I first imagined this ravioli over a year ago. Just the thought of it set off an uncontrollable Pavlovian response. Somehow, I just knew it was a flavor combination that would be out of this world. And when I finally tried it? Divine! It's smokey. It's meaty yet delicate at the same time. It's sinfully creamy! I strongly urge you to give it a try.

However, I will be the first to admit, making homemade ravioli can be labor intensive. Ahhhh, but is it ever worth it. And when you do go to the trouble, take the time to make way more than you need so that you can freeze a bunch to enjoy spur of the moment some other day.

This recipe requires cooked smoked salmon, not the cold slimy stuff. I posted how our family makes smoked salmon (a Pacific Northwest favorite!) some time ago. If you make this salmon and have leftovers, this is a fantastic way to put them to use. Of course, to do that, you have to have leftovers... When I made this batch, it was for a dinner I was hosting, and I smoked the salmon specially for this ravioli. Either way would work great.

Once you have some smoked salmon, you're ready to go! The procedure for making the ravioli themselves is exactly the same as I posted previously for my cheese ravioli, we're simply going to change the filling we stick in there. I even use the same sauce as what I use for the cheese ravioli.

Smoked Salmon Ravioli Filling
Yield: enough for about 4 doz. 1 TBS full ravioli

2/3 pound salmon, smoked (about 2 cups shredded)
1 cup cottage cheese
3 oz goat cheese (chevre)
1 TBS fresh chopped chives
1 TBS fresh minced parsley

Mix all ingredients together until they are evenly distributed. Spoon by the tablespoon into pasta, sealing the edges to form ravioli, as shown in this post. Stack in layers with parchment between to prevent them from sticking together until ready to cook or freeze. Cook in boiling water 3-8 minutes depending on whether they are fresh or frozen. Serve with a cream sauce (recipe also available in that same ravioli post linked above).

2 comments:

  1. Wow this looks and sounds fantastic! I love salmon and I love ravioli so I'm really looking forward to giving this a try. Thanks for the recipe! - Cathy Pieroz at Ray White Alexandra Hills

    ReplyDelete