Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Haystacks

These may just be the easiest chocolates ever to make! If you're doing a bunch of chocolates, making the haystacks last is a great way to use up whatever chocolate is left in the bottom of your bowl. While they are so easy to make (just chocolate and shredded coconut), there are just a few things to consider to make the best haystacks possible:
  1. While you won't notice poorly tempered chocolate as much in haystacks as in other chocolates, you still want to use properly tempered chocolate for the best results.
  2. I much prefer using unsweetened coconut for making haystacks. If you can find it, I strongly recommend going this route.
  3. Toasting the coconut before dredging it in chocolate is an absolute must!! I just put it in a dry saute pan over medium heat and stir periodically until it has a nice light tan color.
  4. Be sure to let your coconut cool completely before adding it to your chocolate. If the coconut is too warm, it can ruin the temper of your chocolate.
  5. Use two spoons to shovel small blobs of chocolate covered coconut onto a parchment lined sheet pan. Refrigerate to harden. They can then be stored at room temperature.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I've never thought of doing toasted coconut before. I've used cornflakes, raisins and chopped nuts in my version of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm trying to lose weight and you are really not helping! And licking my screen doesn't taste very good, either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, thanks for giving me a good laugh. I'm sure if you smear your screen with chocolate it would taste better!

    ReplyDelete