Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Oil & Vinegar Cucumbers


I am really not a pickle person. I'm the gal that dreads my hamburger being delivered in the restaurant with a pickle on the plate because the juice always contaminates everything. But while I can't stand regular pickles, I do really love these cucumbers. Fresh and tart and so nice and crunchy. They're like refrigerator pickles but with a vinaigrette. During the summer when the cukes in the garden are getting ahead of me, this is a constant in the refrigerator. And in the winter and early spring, it's a nice reminder of things to come.

Oil & Vinegar Cucumbers

1-2 cucumbers, partly peeled, thinly sliced
3 TBS small diced sweet onions
2/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp dill
2 rounded TBS sugar
dash ground pepper

I make this in a wide-mouth mason jar but it can be made in any kind of bowl or what not. Simply put all ingredients together and mix thoroughly. I like making it a jar with a canning lid because I can simply shake the jar to mix it. I prefer using white pepper, but the only difference is that black pepper discolors the liquid. Adjust sugar and salt to taste as necessary. While it can be served immediately after being made, it's best to let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours to let the flavors meld. It's best when consumed within a few days, as the cucumbers tend to lose their crunch. When cherry tomatoes are available, I often cut them in half and add them.

1 comment: