Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Creamy Cukes

What a lazy day! Which, really, is not a good thing considering that I have to be ready to start teaching 140 students science in one short little week. But, that's what Saturday is for, right? Relaxing? The only thing of any real significance that my husband and I accomplished was a visit to the local animal shelter to begin the search for a new four-footed member of the family. There are some good possibilities! But we didn't want to rush into a choice. So we came home and did not much of anything.

For better or worse, I sometimes have a hard time doing that. So, before long, I got up and moseyed into the kitchen. I made a batch of granola, and then I started my first attempt on croissants. They're not done yet, but I'll let you know how they come out. Then I made cherry clafoutis for the first time. Not sure I'm a big fan of that... for multiple reasons. But I think a blueberry clafoutis tart would be divine. I'll get back to you on that later, too. Lastly, my husband finished his beloved creamy cukes, so I whipped up another batch. It's so nice when something so simple can make your husband so happy!

The first thing to do is peel the cucumbers. I prefer the greenhouse cucumbers, but my husband really likes the regular ones, so I use them since this is really his dish. Their skin can be really tough, so I peel most of it off. I like to leave little strips, though, for color.

Slice the cucumbers into rings and place in a bowl with the salt. Toss to coat. Let them sit while you prepare the dressing.

Mix the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl. Stir to mix. If you mix too much or too aggressively, you'll end up with a very frothy dressing, which still tastes good, but looks a bit funky. Pour any water that has come out of the cucumbers down the drain and then add the dressing to the cukes. Toss to coat and serve. Keeps well in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Creamy Cukes
Yield: approximately 1 1/2 quarts
2 large cucumbers, mostly peeled and sliced
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
2/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vinegar
1 TBS sugar
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp celery seed
3/4 tsp beau monde (a spice blend)
2 TBS minced onion
Toss cucumber slices with the salt; let sit while mixing the dressing. Mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Be careful not to mix too aggressively, or you will end up with a very frothy dressing. Drain any water that has come out of the cucumbers and then add the dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use. Keeps covered in the refrigerator for up to three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment