Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Easy Drop Biscuits

I just can't stress enough to you how much I love breads and such. Yeast breads, quick breads, pastries, it doesn't matter to me; I love them all. Biscuits are no exception. I like 'em when they're light and airy. No hockey pucks for me!

Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of making traditional biscuits. Which is strange, really, when you consider that normally I like getting out the rolling pin. I suppose it's a matter of association. I typically make biscuits with quick or easy dinners. If I am making an easy soup and want a little something to fill the meal out, I reach for biscuits. As a result, it seems that with those meals I want a biscuit that is no fuss. These drop biscuits certainly fill that niche. Super easy to mix up, you just drop them by spoonfuls onto a greased sheet pan. Pop them in the oven and - voila! - 15 minutes later, you have steaming, fluffy, tasty biscuits.

Easy Drop Biscuits
Yield: 15 medium biscuits

2 cups flour
1 1/2 TBS baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tarter, and salt. Stir to mix. Add the softened butter, mix until forms coarse crumbs. Add the milk. Stir just until mixed. if you over mix the batter, the biscuits will be tough. Place by spoonfuls (about 1/4 cup to make 15 biscuits) onto a greased or parchment covered sheet pan. Bake until puffed and golden, about 15 minutes.

I like them with cheese, myself. But they're plenty good plain (think: sausage & biscuits or with jam). Throw in herbs if you like (1-2 tsp dried herbs is about right). If you want to add shredded cheese, use about 1 cup total. Put 3/4 of it in the dough and the rest gets sprinkled on top.

13 comments:

  1. could i use water instead of milk, and have them turn out ok enough to eat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, that's a good question! I think they would turn out OK, but - since milk tends to act as a tenderizer in breads - I would expect them to not come out quite as tender. Milk also adds flavor, so if you want to omit the milk, I might only do so when making flavored biscuits (adding cheese or herbs). If it is milk products in general that are a problem for you, you can also easily exchange vegetable shortening for the butter. If you give it a try, I'd love to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello!!! i was wondering.. what does the cream of tartar do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cream of tartar does two things. Because cream of tartar is acidic (tartaric acid), it helps the baking powder create more lift (the lift is caused by a chemical reaction that realeases carbon dioxide). Additionally, cream of tartar adds a subtle and unique flavor. Although I have never tried it without, I believe you could omit it and still obtain good results. If you are going to use cream of tartar, do be sure the label specifies "potassium salt of tartaric acid" or "potassium hydrogen tartrate" as there are substitutes on the market that I feel are inferior to the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for this recipe! I made the most delicious drop biscuits last night for dinner. Added shredded parm cheese and Italian herbs.. yum yum! Will be checking back frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  6. could i use oatmeal flour instead of all purpose flour?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry it took me so long to reply! I have no experience baking with oat flour... but I would say give it a try! I have a sneaking suspicion that it will change the texture a bit, perhaps making the biscuits more crumbly (which may not be a bad thing!). If you do give it a try, I would love to know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found this recipe from a google search. I don't think I like biscuits, but these look interesting! (and so does your writing).

    -Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to say I haven't tried any of these recipes...YET! lol. I agree with Theresa that your writing is interesting. It's almost as if you are standing in front of me giving me the directions! Very cool quality. I've never made any homemade breads before, but I am planning to try these. Thanks for the recipes, they sound great. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the complement, Helen! I am excited to hear that you are planning to try something new in the kitchen. Just let me know if you run into any problems. Breads can take a little bit of practice, but once you've made a few they can become quite easy. Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. woo hoo...lol. I made these this morning w/sausage gravy. Wow, we all loved them! Thanks for a great soft tender biscuit = )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this recipe...very quick and easy...just made my 2nd batch from your recipe...I used 1/2 wheat flour and 1/2 all purpose...makes a great biscuit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi friend! This recipe is very similar to the old-fashioned one my mom used. Brings back memories and I am going to make them for dinner tonight, with beef stew. Thanks!
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete