Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Friday, April 17, 2009

Fresh Salsa

While I can my own salsa and enjoy eating it throughout the year, sometimes I want a salsa with a little fresher taste. In the summer, I make this with fresh tomatoes. When real tomatoes aren't available, I go for the diced, canned tomatoes and then add a bunch of fresh flavors.

I can make this salsa in about 15 minutes. It works best if you give it a couple of hours in the fridge to let the flavors meld, but it tastes great right away too. In fact, this evening, I was wanting something quick so I put together some nachoes. I love this salsa poured over the top! Again, Miss Wussy Mouth here... this salsa has no heat. If you like heat, add some jalapeno or tabasco. I'm also a fan of salsa with everything in little pieces. If you like a chunkier salsa, just chop the componants into larger pieces.

Fresh Salsa
Yield: about 3 cups of salsa

1 can petite diced tomatoes (with juice) or 2 cups fresh diced tomatoes
1/3 cup minced Anaheim chile pepper
1/3 cup minced green onion
1/3 cup minced onion
1/3 cup minced cilantro
4 cloves minced garlic
3 TBS lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste

Stir together and , if possible, let sit covered in the the refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving. The amount of salt needed will vary on the brand of tomatoes used. Store in an airtight container up to five days.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds yummy! I've been looking for an easy way to make my own salsa. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete